I am always looking for ideas for healthy meals and snacks for my family. Today I decided to experiment with these breakfast cups after a conversation with a fellow fitness professional. Theirs had a lot less ingredients, and I like to ‘spice’ mine up a little, so here’s my version of granola breakfast cups.
Prep Time: 10-15 Minutes
Ingredients (Makes 12 Servings)
2 1/2 Cups regular old fashioned oats
1/2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 Tbs unsweetened shredded coconut
1 Tbs raw cacao nibs (I like to use the Spectrum brand mix which combines cacao, coconut and chia seeds)
1/4 Cup organic honey
2 Tbs peanut or almond butter
2 Tbs organic coconut oil
1 Organic ripe banana mashed
1 Tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Combine the oats, cinnamon, salt, unsweetened shredded coconut, and raw cacao nibs in a bowl.
3. Place the peanut/almond butter and honey in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until the mixture is bubbling. Remove the mixture from the microwave.
4. Add the mashed banana, vanilla extract and coconut oil to the peanut butter/honey mixture. Mix well.
5. Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well with a spoon until the oats are evenly coated. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
6. Spray or grease a 12 cup muffin pan OR place 12 paper cupcake holders in a muffin pan. Remove the mix from the refrigerator and evenly divide the mixture into the muffin cups.
7. Press the oats into each cup so that it forms a shell. Make sure it’s even all the way around the sides, as these cups will crumble if not evenly spread.
8. Once you’ve spread the mixture evenly, place it in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Keep an eye on it as they will start to burn after 15 minutes. Cook until golden brown.
9. Remove from the oven and place each cup on a cooling rack. If you used paper cups, gently peel the paper wrapper off each cup.
10. Store the breakfast cups in an airtight container or serve once cool, with plain or flavored Greek yogurt, topped with berries or toppings of your choice. You can fill these with some of your favorite smoothie leftovers or simply serve with fresh fruit.
My kiddos absolutely LOVE these and they make a great healthy breakfast or snack!